Category Archives: Tech

Kevin Rose’s Tiny Blog Idea

I like Kevin Rose‘s idea. I share the feeling that something is missing.

Sometime ago, I had this idea that I could start a project/startup all live via Google Hangouts and screencast. Every moment I was working on that project I would open Hangouts and share my thinking process, contacts, discussions, coding, etc. This would obviously be stored on YouTube and the user could go back and/or know every day what I was working on and why each feature was the way it was.

It is not the same idea but I believe that behind both ideas lives the same feeling/frustration. Sharing not only the end result (text, photo, code, feature) but also the feeling/process.

Tumblr F*** yeah or just F***?

Tumblr the end is near
My rant about Tumblr was my most popular post on Tumblr ever. I know how popular tech backlashing’s are but mine came from the heart. I hated the deal. Tumblr was my place.

Yesterday, I read David’s announcement and got the F*** yeah! at the end and the gif with Marissa (expected better).

For a moment I thought, ok what will really change? Why was I making such a big deal? Congrats.

After the Yahoo event (great job with the Flickr refresh) it all came back to my mind.

After a while, I thought: NO! A lot has changed. All has changed. Marissa is the boss. It’s all fine, Marissa is proving to be a great fit for Yahoo but what if the stock drops? What if Marissa decides to become a fulltime mom. Or ‘knock on wood’ she gets ill? (Miss you Steve)

Who will be there? Who will be the boss? Will David still care to fight back? Who will stop Tumblr of becoming MySpace?

So, I stand with my first gut instinct: F***, the days are numbered! (Hope I am wrong. Really, really wrong)

Final note:
Thanks @PauloGaspar7 for the tweet, it kicked me out of the laziness to write this post.

paulogaspar7 tweet reply

Reply: Can’t we all do whatever we want?!

Analog version of this post 🙂

Why you should NOT use GoDaddy has your hosting provider

GoDaddy is a great place to register domains. PERIOD

I have been running a dedicated server little over one month we can report 3 occasions of downtime. And many other issues when the server simply is acting erratic.

On a situation, I waited (over the weekend) 36 hours for a ticket reply.

Last week during a business meeting it stopped working, I went to the status report page of GoDaddy and it said that dedicated servers were with problems. Took them 5 hours to solve.

Today I started getting errors from crons running and I can’t ping (unknown host) from the server and Just-ping results ok all over.

It is sunday (I work everyday, contrary to GoDaddy support). The chat support for dedicated servers is has good as not being there. Hours waiting and no answer. And that power cycle message that I just started and that can make the server go down for 30-60 minutes (again).

Went to the status page, all good. Then, went to dedicated server control panel:

GoDaddy status vs reality

I think this picture illustrate the question.

If I didn’t have so much on my to-do list. I would change it today. But I have deadlines and things already planned. The only thing I know is that I will move out of GoDaddy.